We choose our lens suppliers carefully at Turners. Predicated not just on technological brilliance, the objectives of the global foundation Zeiss, are also to protect our environment.
This is done through set targets to reduce CO2 emissions and energy consumption, reduce plastic and recycle obsolete materials. With each aspect of production Zeiss has stringent operational systems to safeguard the environment and our planet for future generations.
- ZEISS has standardised lens spectacle packaging material and also reduced the number of different types of packaging from 163 to six.
- ZEISS save the equivalent of two million plastic bags or 70 tons of packaging material a year.
- ZEISS produces solar energy for its own use. A potential switch to renewable energy is currently under review to prevent environmental impact whenever possible.
- Recyclability is a key factor when selecting a material. Waste that can neither be prevented nor recycled is disposed of properly. In doing so, ZEISS selects the most environmentally friendly disposal method that is also economically viable.
- ZEISS aims for its energy consumption worldwide to be CO2 neutral by 2022.
- More than two billion people around the world have no access to vision testing and eye exams because there are no ophthalmologists or optometrists in the region. Since 2015, ZEISS has been teaming up with non governmental organisations, foundations and small local businesses in the Aloka Vision Programme to deliver basic eye care to remote parts of rural India.
- ZEISS in-house energy production at Oberkochen, Germany, has four combined heat and power plants in which natural gas is used to generate heat and power to combine overall facility efficient by as high as 89 percent.