11 Steps to Help Prevent Macular Degeneration (AMD)
- Don’t smoke
- Eat plenty of dark, leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, kale or broccali
- Take a multivitamin/multimineral supplement unless advised otherwise
- If you already have AMD, ask us about one of the available dietary supplements such as Nutrof
- Eat oily fish or take a fish oil supplement – some of the AMD dietary supplements contain this
- Exercise regularly, and stay at a healthy weight
- Eat fruit and nuts daily
- Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control. Regular exercise and weight control can help manage your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Wear appropriate sunglasses outdoors to block UV and blue light that may cause eye damage.
- Have regular eye examinations
Excellent information about AMD is available through the website of the <a href="http://www.macularsociety project management collaboration tools.org/about-macular-conditions/Age-related-macular-degeneration” target=”_blank”>Macular Society